Alton Lions Club (CIO) is celebrating 50 years of serving the local community with the launch of a ‘Lions Den’ initiative, offering a share of £5,000 to support projects put forward by smaller charitable organisations in Alton and the villages. We invite local community and charitable organisations to pitch to Lions in short interview for a share of £5000.
The results of the Lions Den project 2023 were as follows:
- £1000 donated to Amery Hill School for Neurify DOSE Training for Year 9 Students (13/14-year-olds), staff and parents. Delivering 4 sessions for pupils, 1 for staff and 1 for parents, helping around 200 students impacted by lockdown, social media and the expectations put upon them, to address resulting mental health issues.
- £200 donated to Parkinsons UK Alton support group for a day out at Hinton Ampner for members and carers.
- £200 to Anna Chaplaincy for a Christmas party for up to 60 seniors.
- £1000 to Alton Men’s Shed towards the cost of a professional table saw, helping the members expand their work in the community especially with children and the elderly.
- £600 to 2nd Bentley Scouts for the purchase of 2 new tents replacing worn out ones.
- £200 to Cycle Alton towards providing Community Bicycle workshops teaching maintenance and repair skills to women.
- £1000 to Chawton Park Surgery towards the cost of a Dermatoscope which is a Powerful new technology that will help with early detection of skin cancer.
- £400 to Baby Loss Podcast project, working with the head of bereavement at North Hampshire Hospitals to record and deliver 8 podcasts to offer help and advice to bereaved parents.
- £500 to Alton Community Association towards replacement of 100 plastic chairs with padded conference style chairs to enhance the community centre’s offering.