Where the funds came from
In the last year Alton Lions Club (CIO) has remained active, subject to the constraints of the covid pandemic. However, the Club has risen to the challenge, and it has continued to organise and deliver services. This means the Club has:
- Raised funds including obtaining a grant from Hampshire County Council for the Alton & District Resilience Fund (ADCRF) to support local individuals including refugees in difficulty.
- Provided town centre Craft Markets through March to December.
- Delivered appeal cards through the town and local villages.
- Organised The Alton Lions Golf Day with Alton REHAB.
- Arranged Disaster Appeals with Sainsbury’s to support work of Lions Clubs International Foundation (LCIF),
- Organised the Party in the Park with Treloar’s,
- Organised The Classic Car Show with Alton Town Council,
- Arranged for Winter Fuel support collection with Alton Herald,
- Organised the Easter Eggstravaganza project with local Pubs,
- Operated the Alton Lions Supporters 100 club,
- Delivered Quiz competitions with Wey Valley Radio and at the Royal British Legion club,
- Successfully submitted Gift Aid applications
- Raised funds for a Prostate Testing Day at the Community Centre.
How the funds are used
Through the Club’s service and fund-raising activities local Lions have been able to:
- Provide grants, together with the ADCRF, to individuals in need, organise upgrading of used laptops for children home schooling
- Provide grants to local Charities e.g., Bushy-Leaze, Rehab, Reengage, Community Cupboard, Home-Start, The Pink Place, Dogs for Autism
- Provide and deliver vouchers and gifts to individuals and families in need at Christmas
- Make international disaster aid donations through Lions Clubs International Foundation e.g., Ukraine, Haiti & Tonga.
- Provide donations for community projects e.g., Message in a Bottle, Community benches in Anstey Park and the Community Hospital, a Sports Scholarship through Alton College Foundation, Diabetes Awareness posters, Spectrek collections.
- Support people in fuel poverty with Citizens Advice
- Provide a fourth defibrillator in the town centre
- Organise a prostate testing day in Alton Community Centre
- Cover costs associated with organising events e.g., Golf Day, Party in the Park, Classic Car Show, Craft Markets, Quiz, Recruiting